Custodianship of International Students

The arrangement between a parent or guardian with a local custodian of a student who will be 17 years and younger is usually an informal one. It is known as an informal custodianship in most states and provinces in the United States and Canada. Often, this type of custodianship does NOT necessitate a family court order. A custodian can be an extended family member, family friend, or homestay family member.

A custodian must be a local citizen or a permanent resident. She or he should be able to assist with the guardianship role as a school registration requirement. The custodian will substitute a guardian who lives abroad with her or his duties. The following are guardianship responsibilities with the school.

The custodian duties:

Assist the student school registration or arrival at school:

    • Attend the admission intake meeting with the admissions office at the school board.
    • Attend the assessment appointments when necessary.
    • Accompany the student to the school to help with the registration.

During the academic year:

    • Serve as the official point of contact for the school in educational or attendance matters.
    • Provide consent as needed by the school for academic programs and activities.
    • Attend parent-teacher meetings
    • Send a copy of the report cards to the student’s parents.
    • Communicate with the student’s parents or close family members.

When help is required:

    • Advise parents or close family immediately of any school challenge that presents a concern.
    • Assist the student in finding medical care, should a student health issue arise.

If you are a parent or a guardian who needs help with this custodianship arrangement for your son or daughter, please do contact us or call our homestay coordinator at +1 (800) 505-6775.